Palo Alto Office - by appt only
530 Lytton Avenue, 2nd Floor
Palo Alto, CA 94301
(408) 834-7478

Disclaimer:  The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult with an attorney regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us or schedule a consultation through our online scheduling system. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information until we have established an attorney-client relationship.

Redwood Shores - Main Office
303 Twin Dolphin Drive, 6th Floor
Redwood City, CA 94065
(650) 331-3475


Retirement accounts are difficult to split and have different rules applicable to them depending on the type of account. California courts advise parties with pension plans to seek attorney help in dividing these assets. Many times attorneys seek the help of accountants in order to draft instructions on how to divide pension plan assets. These instructions become a Qualified Domestic Relations Order (QDRO) once they are signed by the judge. These orders contain special instructions to the retirement plan administrators on how to divide the retirement plan.

You don’t need a QDRO for:

  • IRAs

You need a QDRO for the following retirement plans:

  • 401(k), 403(b), and 457 plans
  • Thrift plans
  • Profit-sharing plans
  • Money purchase plans
  • Employee stock ownership plans
  • Tax-sheltered annuities, and
  • Business/ corporate defined benefit or pension plans.

Bay Area Divorces © 2023 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED